Determining the positions at which topics change in a stream of text or speech.
determining the positions at which topics change in a stream of text or speech.
- Segment text into non-hierarchical, non-overlapping zones which contain the same subtopic
- Equivalent definition: Detect subtopic shifts (changes of subtopic)
- Reasons for not simply using paragraph or section boundaries:
- Stark (1988) found not all paragraph boundaries reflect topic shifts
- Paragraph conventions genre-dependent
- Sections often too large